Saturday, September 10, 2011

Friday and Saturday: Swim and Day Off

Yesterday, Ivan and I made it to swim class on time, even though Ivan is now on a second round of antibiotics for his double swimmers' ear which tastes like (and I know because I tasted it after accusing Ivan of being dramatic) finger nail polish remover with a piece of bubble gum inside.  It is rugged, and he is actually being a trooper about taking it, though the whole process takes a while.

I was ten minutes late to the pool deck, but that is so close to on-time for me that I am calling it on time.  I swam 3000 yards and then my morning swim class threw me such a nice lunchtime baby shower.  We had fabulous vegetable tarts and grilled chicken and a lime torte that rocked my world.  I received several lovely things and my mother brought Ivan's new big boy bed, and my house looks like some sort of children's store exploded and left bales of baby paraphernalia scattered about the house.  Also, parts of the new big boy bed are all about the house, and I stubbed my toe most unfortunately as I was heading to the restroom for the 1000th time last night.  

Now, last night, I busied myself with tidying bales of baby things, measuring space for the big boy bed, and writing thank you notes while watching The Other Guys.  I did not have high hopes for this film, but it cracked me up pretty much the whole way through.  Mark Wahlburg came across much like they ridicule him on SNL, though I did like him in The Fighter.  

This morning, Ivan and I woke up and pulled ourselves together and headed in to have breakfast at Whole Foods with my mother, sister and nephew.  We had as great a time as is possible to have while herding toddlers about and trying to enjoy breakfast.  

We then took our herding to the next level by heading to the mall and shopping for nursery school clothes and winter coats.  While everyone was generally well behaved, it all seemed very difficult.  I spilled my coffee while trying to push the stroller while trying to keep my stomach from hitting all the clothing racks.  I got Ivan out of the stroller to check the fit of pants, and then he crawled away with his dump truck.  Then I got him a cake pop at the Starbucks for being good, then he wouldn't eat it, so I obviously had to.  Then we all got on the elevator, with strollers and shopping bags and forgot to push the down button, so we just sat there in a stuffy elevator staring blankly.  Then we went to another shop to try winter coats, then I had to change Ivan's pull-up in the parking lot, and then we all debated winter coats like it was world peace.  

By the time I got home, I was starving, but had to feed Ivan first.  Then, after I made my lunch, I fell asleep SITTING UP.  That is apparently how exhausting it is to take my child shopping.  After dinner and getting everyone to bed, I am sitting down to watch The Last Station. I loved reading War and Peace, and there is apparently a lot that I did not know about Tolstoy himself, that I should investigate.  Now, going to work on remedying my current needlepoint disaster.  

No swim tomorrow morning as the water temperature has dropped, and I cannot fit into any wetsuit without the potential stretching of the wetsuit to the breaking point.  So, hopefully, I will swim at the YMCA tomorrow!!

No comments: