Sunday, September 11, 2011

Recipe: Zucchini Crust Pizza


So, my friend Becky Pommer-Jones shared this fabulous recipe with me and I made it tonight and let go of a lot of the guilt, sodium, and processed cheese that usually accompany my pizza experiences.  I totally recommend it!!  

Ingredients
  • 4 cups coarsely grated unpeeled Zucchini 
  • sea salt
  • olive oil
  • cornmeal 
  • 4 eggs 
  • 1/2 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
  • 2 cups grated cheese (pecornino romano, which is sheep cheese and goat cheese)
  • toppings of your choice (I used tomatoes and spinach, my husband used onions and peppers and tomatoes)

Directions:
  • Place grated zucchini in a colander, salt generously, and set aside for 30 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands.
  • Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly coat 2 cookie sheets with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
  • Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the Zucchini and flour. The mixture should have the consistency of cooked oatmeal, add more flour if necessary.
  • Spread half the mixture on one prepared cookie sheet and half on the other. Bake for 15 minutes until slightly brown and puffy. Remove from oven and reduce to 350.
  • Sprinkle the toppings on as desired. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until cheese melts. Serve hot or at room temp.


No comments: