Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday: Yoga and Run

This morning, I made a resolution to myself, that regardless of the night's sleep I have, I am going to get up earlier.  My whole morning of sprinting about the house, leaving things undone and messy, was too familiar and too unsettling.  I did make it out of the house relatively on time, and managed to have everything that I needed to make it through my morning.  This particular morning, I had a doctor's appointment; one of the many that are becoming my weekly occupation.

The last time I had a childcare mishap, I ended up having to take Ivan to the doctor with me.  It actually went really well, we took the ipad, and he played docilely throughout the appointment, and it gave me a sense of false confidence that I chose to exploit this morning to my own detriment as well as that of the tranquility of the doctor's office.  Everything went pretty well, except for some loud talking that clearly means we need to discuss whispering, UNTILL we were called back to the examining room.  I am not sure what happened or what switch was flipped, but when I stood up to start walking proudly with my well behaved child, he threw himself on the floor, grabbed my ankles, and began to wail.  His face was bright red, and I honestly had to carry my bags, my raincoat and walk like Morticia Addams with Ivan clinging to my ankles.

When we went in to fill my specimen cup, you can bet the the privacy of the bathroom was used for the duel purpose of specimen collection and furious preschooler disciplining.  I felt like it was a movie moment where I went into the restroom smiling gamely as my child melted down, and turned into Mr. Hyde once the door was closed.  Then, as if the switch had flipped again, Ivan saw my method of specimen collection, was completely fascinated, and began asking questions like a normal person that had not just had to be dragged across the waiting room carpet like a mound of wailing dead weight.

If I had had to be dragged across a waiting room floor wailing at the top of my lungs, I would at least have the decency to be totally mute with shame following my episode.  My child, however, asked all sorts of brazen questions like nothing had happened; LIKE I HAD NOT BEEN SHAMED IN FRONT OF A ROOM FULL OF GESTATING WOMEN.  Ivan was polite with the doctor, quiet as a mouse during the visit, and left the office easily.

It is unfortunate when one's daily activities somehow result in the deep deep desire for alcohol, but I can honestly say that that is where the events of my day have lead me.  It is also unfortunate when one's state of gestation prevents one from drowning her sorrows.  For this reason, I got a Starbucks coffee and a chocolate bar and thought longingly of something stronger.

Afterwards, Ivan and I picked up his great-grandmother and had a nice visit at a local playground, before heading home for naptime.

At home, I got in a great yoga session and then a nice three mile run, though I walked the steep downhill of my usual route, as I was feeling somehow structurally unsound as started to run down the hill.

Four more weeks!!

No comments: