Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday: Swim

You know, I guess we all have hair brained ideas about activities we will participate in with our children.  I, Betsy Sloan, thought that this morning, Ivan and I would have a lovely morning of rising early and picking blueberries together.  As you can imagine this was a disaster of someone losing their wagon in one of the rows of blueberry bushes (trees? these were huge), someone running away, someone becoming bored after 15, nay, 10 minutes, someone wanting to go home.  It was not unexpected really.  

I just finished a great book, The Shadow of the Wind, and in it there is an interesting character who makes the comment that children are like lottery tickets.  They have the potential to house all your hopes and dreams and make them come true. I think there is a lot truth to that, and when I have these days where I plan a fun thing that falls apart, I have to sort of think it is more me than Ivan.  The blueberries were my thing, not his.  

We left from the blueberry farm to go to swim, and while we did make it to swim, there was much post-blueberry grumpiness and someone might have taken off their shoes and thrown them.  Swim was great, but I was late and I did not get in the yardage I wanted.  I think we will forgo the blueberry farm next Wednesday and have some extra Sesame Street time before making a stab at arriving to swim on time.

No comments: