Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday: Swim and Yoga and Fab Dinner

Today, we were on our mark at the Sloan household.  I was on time to swim, Ivan was interested in getting to the gym, he was pleasant on both entry and exit. I swam 3000 meters and we hit Whole Foods on the way home.  


I think I have mentioned before, that my eating has pretty much cracked out.  As a general rule, I feel great, but having me to dinner these days could be super awkward.  While I do not want to become the type of person that cannot eat in a restaurant, I did purchase both nutritional yeast and dulse flakes at Whole Foods today.  I am officially eating seaweed and whatever, that is apparently what I am doing. 


Anyway, I will say that today, I made a FABULOUS salad for dinner.  


I first made The Barefoot Contessa's easy lemon chicken:

Lemon Chicken Breast (Serves 4)
Copyright, 2010 Barefoot Contessa, How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved

Lemon Chicken BreastQuentin Bacon
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 tablespoons minced garlic (9 cloves)
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on (6 to 8 ounces each)
1 lemon
Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?
  View Book

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic, and cook for just 1 minute but don’t allow the garlic to turn brown. Off the heat, add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt and pour into a 9 X 12-inch baking dish.

Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and the skin is lightly browned. If the chicken isn’t browned enough, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the pan juices. 

Then, I made Kimberly Snyder's "Dharma's Kale Salad":


This salad is amazing- satisfying and full of protein, beautifying enzymes and nutrition:
  • Curly Kale
  • Sprouts- any kind you like. I like Sunflower sprouts and Clover sprouts best. (According to yogic philosophy, sprouts are the highest prana(energy) food of all since a sprout is gathering as much energy as possible to transition from a seed to a plant)
  • 2 Chopped Tomatoes
  • 2 Avocados (cut up into pieces)
  • Olive oil
  • The juice of 1 large lemon or 1 ½ lemons
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Celtic sea salt
  • Nutritional Yeast (Kal brand is my favorite), 2 or 3 scoops to make ‘cheesy’ and get all your daily supply of B vitamins, plus lots of protein
Recommended Additions
  • Hemp seeds (great for added protein)
  • Dulse (sea vegetable for minerals)
Mix the Kale, Tomatoes, Avocados and Sprouts together

In a dressing container, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, dulse flakes, nutritional yeast and cayenne pepper and sea salt. 

It was a fabulous salad and I have to encourage it!! 

Also got in a great yoga practice and went to work!!









  

No comments: