Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday and Monday: Lake Swim and Day Off

So yesterday, I was up early and hit the lake for open water swimming at 6:30 AM.  The water was hot, and I ma just ridiculously slow.  I do really enjoy the lake swims though and hope to keep doing them.  After a long and deep conversation with my doctor, he feels that I can continue lake swims throughout my confinement as long as I swim like a snail and drink at least two huge tervis tumblers full of water before I get in the water.

Now, this massive water consumption makes me waddle upon leaving the car and my stomach looks like it needs it own personal conveyance by the time I arrive at the water's edge.  It is just really ridiculous.

Now, at home, Ivan and I loaded up and headed to church, which went pretty well.  He was well behaved and observed potty training for about 45 minutes, which was a small triumph.  At home, we both took naps and I woke up just in time to make a cherry limeade in the Vitamix and head to a tutoring session.  At home, I attempted to get into bed at a reasonable time, but there was a strange paper crumpling noise.

I went through several possible scenarios of what the noise could be, and I narrowed it down to mice or a psychopath living surreptitiously in our home wadding up the first drafts of his novel.  We live in an old home and the possibility that it would be haunted or that some strange personage would have taken up residence in some part of the house seems not so odd in the face of the strange paper crumpling noise.

Unfortunately, when I figured out what the noise was, it was actually much worse than what I had imagined.  It was a huge snake living in the open vent above the toilet in my bathroom, AND it was swirling about in circles in its old skin.  It sounded a lot like Nigini, Voldemort's snake in the Harry Potter movies.  I have never hopped off a toilet so quickly and the thought that that vile reptile was circling about above my head made my toilet rather unusable today.

Now the snake puts me in an unfortunate position.  It is actually our second snake.  The first snake was killed by a VERY excited workman when we remodeled a bit when I first moved in.  After the death of snake number one, our mouse situation got OUT OF CONTROL.  I got two cats, the problem was solved and there were few other problems.  Now, we are down to one cat, and in all honesty, The Beast has become a bit lazy and from time to time a brazen mouse shows its face.  Do we need the snake?
Does anyone need a snake?

Whether I need a snake or not, the snake thing kept me up, and I crashed after lunch today.  A 20 minute nap perked me up and as the pool is now closed for August, I took today off.  Hopefully a run tomorow!

No comments: